Finally we've been able to get quite a lot done. I've been juggling allotment activities with feeling a-bit-more-rubbish-than-normal with ME, struggling to get my MA done, and starting my project to redesign signs and interpretation in the garden of my local museum. Also we had a great trip to Brighton where we met up with old friends E and H, and had a very animated chat, occasionally verging on a rant, covering ways to avoid allotment fatigue amongst other things.
At the plot it has been a treat to get out in the sun and get on with starting plants off and planting out.
The little wagon/planter came before we arrived on the plot by the way! I think it might be moving along a bit. The bricks on the bed behind it will mark out a divisions in the proposed herb bed.
Focus on the water tank! Behind it is a hibiscus tree, more alive than it looks
L putting in the potatoes
In went the peas, and along came the slugs, so down went the slug barrier
Sweet peas beginning to twirl
Primulas on a neighbour's plot
All the flowers dotted around should help the two hives of bees on the site
It's been suggested that I should be keeping more of a record of what we've doing: so I'll do an occasional summary of tasks we've done. In the last week or so we:
Sowed (at home) Tomatoes: Sungold, Gardeners' Delight, Moneymaker
Thyme, Basil, parsley
More broad beans and peas (normal- Meteor- and mangetout/ sugarsnap)
Sowed (unheated greenhouse on the plot) Carrots, Rocket, Leeks, Radish, Spinach
I've got to sort out my labelling system. If I actually remember to provide labels, I forget a pencil.
Planted out on the plot Potatoes: Arran Pilot and Charlotte (a couple of bags in the greenhouse, most in the ground)
Peas (normal- Meteor- and mangetout/ sugarsnap)
Dahlias set out to sprout in a tray of slightly damp compost.
At the plot we've continued to clear ground that has been very weedy (from the previous occupant!).
Wild garlic and snowdrops have gone in to the wild/ woodland area (very shaded by trees outside the site boundary) .
I've added a few perennial flowers to the front borders.
I can't wait for the manure to rot down enough for us to feed the soil: the sun has dried the surface of the soil and it's really grey and dry, lacking in organic materials.
And we've got loads to do still at the back of the plot (behind the greenhouses).
Fortunately, out the back the rhubarb has decided it might just live! Hurray!